(1) Special religious instruction may be given in a Government school in accordance with this section.
(2) If special religious instruction is given in a Government school during the hours set apart for the instruction of the students—
(a) the persons providing the special religious instruction must be persons who are accredited representatives of churches or other religious groups and who are approved by the Minister for the purpose;
(b) the special religious instruction must be given on the basis of the normal class organisation of the school except in a school where the Minister authorises some other basis to be observed having regard to—
(i) the particular circumstances of a school or schools; or
(ii) the preparation or conduct of a pageant, special event or celebration of a festival in a school or schools;
(c) attendance for the special religious instruction is not to be compulsory for any student whose parents desire that he or she be excused from attending.
(3) The Minister may give an authorisation under subsection (2) in respect of the preparation or conduct of a particular class of pageant, special event or celebration of a festival generally to all schools, to a class or classes of school or to a specific school.
(4) Nothing in this section prevents any Government school building from being used for any purpose on days other than school days or at hours on school days other than the hours set apart for the instruction of the students.
(5) In this section "special religious instruction" means instruction provided by churches and other religious groups and based on distinctive religious tenets and beliefs.