Queensland Consolidated Acts
[Search this Act]
Acts Interpretation Act 1954
TABLE OF PROVISIONS
1. Short title
2. Act applies to all Acts
4. Displacement of Act by contrary intention
5. Act binds Crown
Part 2--Meaning of Act
6. References to Act
7. Act includes statutory instruments under Act etc.
Part 3--General provisions applying to Acts
9. Interpretation of Act in relation to Parliament's legislative power
9A. Declaration of validity of certain laws
10. Section has effect as substantive enactment
11. Acts to be public Acts
12. Private Acts not to affect rights of others
12A. Private Acts amended by public Acts do not become public Acts
13. Future Acts when binding on the Crown
13A. Acts not to affect native title except by express provision
13B. Acts not to affect powers, rights or immunities of Legislative Assembly except by express provision
14. Material that is, and is not, part of an Act
14A. Interpretation best achieving Act's purpose
14B. Use of extrinsic material in interpretation
14C. Changes of drafting practice not to affect meaning
Part 4--Reference to and citation of Acts
14E. References to Acts generally
14F. References to particular Acts
14G. References to enactments
14H. References taken to be included in reference to law
14I. References to changed short titles and citations
14J. References to repealed or expired laws
Part 5--Commencement of Acts
15. References to enactment etc. of Acts
15A. Commencement of Acts on date of assent
15B. Time of commencement of Acts
15C. Commencement of citation and commencement provisions on date of assent etc.
15D. Commencement by proclamation etc.
15DA. Automatic commencement of postponed law
15E. Commencement of paragraphs etc. in amending Act
17. Exercise of powers between enactment and commencement
Part 6--Amendment and repeal of Acts
17A. Act may be amended or repealed in same parliamentary session
18. Time of expiry of Act etc.
19. Repealed and amended Acts not revived on repeal of repealing and amending Acts
19A. Commencement not undone if omitted
20. Saving of operation of repealed Act etc.
20A. Repeal does not end saving, transitional or validating effect etc.
20B. Continuance of appointments etc. made under amended provisions
20C. Creation of offences and changes in penalties
21. Continuance of repealed provisions
22. Act and amending Acts to be read as one
22A. Insertion of provisions by amending Act
22B. Amendment to be made wherever possible in provision
22C. Automatic repeal of amending Act
Part 7--Functions and powers conferred by Acts
23. Performance of statutory functions etc.
23A. Conferral of statutory power on another entity
24AA. Power to make instrument or decision includes power to amend or repeal
24A. Appointments may be made by name or office
24B. Acting appointments
24C. Acting person nominated by Act etc.
25. Powers of appointment imply certain incidental powers
26. Appointment not affected by defect etc.
27. Power to hear and determine includes power to administer oath
27A. Delegation of functions or powers
27B. Content of statement of reasons for decision
29. Legislative Assembly's resolutions to be interpreted not to exceed authority
29B. Working out number of sitting days
Part 8--Terms and references in Acts
32. Defined terms—other parts of speech and grammatical forms
32A. Definitions to be read in context
32AA. Definitions generally apply to entire Act
32AB. Terms defined both in this Act and another Act
32CA. Meaning of may and must etc.
32CB. Words and expressions used in amending Acts
32D. References to persons generally
32DA. Meaning of de facto partner
32E. Production of records kept in computers etc.
32F. References to commencement
33. References to Ministers, departments and chief executives
33A. References to States include Territories
34. References to officers and holders of offices
34A. Chair titles
34B. Deputy chair titles
35. References to Queensland to be implied
35A. References to person with interest in land includes personal representative etc.
35B. References to provisions designated by number without mentioning another Act
35C. Headings part of provision etc.
35CA. References to items at the end of a provision
35D. Reference to provisions of a law is inclusive
35E. Instrument made under the Act
36. Meaning of commonly used words and expressions
Part 9--Distance, time and age
37. Measurement of distance
38. Reckoning of time
Part 10--Service of documents
39. Service of documents
39A. Meaning of service by post etc.
Part 11--Offences and criminal proceedings
41. Penalty at end of provision
41A. Penalty other than at end of provision
42. Any person may prosecute etc.
43. Appropriation of penalties
44. Summary proceedings
45. Offence punishable only once
46. Bodies corporate
Part 12--Application of particular State laws to coastal waters
47. Definitions for pt 12
47A. Application of laws of the State to coastal waters
47B. Laws with specific application not to apply
47C. Extent of jurisdiction in relation to coastal waters
47D. Constitutional basis
48. Forms—notification and availability
48A. Compliance with forms
49. Verification of documents
49A. Jurisdiction of courts and tribunals
50. Making or amendment of subordinate legislation by an Act
51A. References to Acts Shortening Act 1867
52. References to the Crown etc.
Part 14--Transitional provisions
Division 1--Transitional provision for Parliamentary Service and Other Acts Amendment Act 2011
53. Transitional—extrinsic material—speech in Legislative Assembly
Division 2--Transitional provisions for Treasury and Trade and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2013
54. Definitions for div 2
55. References to s 36, 48A or 49
56. References to gazetted
57. References to notified in the gazette
SCHEDULE 1--MEANING OF COMMONLY USED WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS
[Search this Act]