(1) An institution shall give to each student who is undertaking a designated course of study at the institution on the census date in respect of that course of study in respect of a semester a written notice:
(a) setting out particulars of so much of that course of study as is being undertaken by the student in that semester;
(b) stating whether the student is a contributing student or an exempt student in relation to that course of study in respect of that semester;
(c) setting out the student's student load in respect of that course of study in that semester expressed as a proportion of the standard student load in respect of that course of study in the year in which that semester occurs; and
(d) if the student is a contributing student in relation to that course of study in respect of that semester, specifying:
(i) the amount of the contribution payable by the student in respect of that course of study in respect of that semester under section 39; and
(ii) if the student has made a payment in respect of the contribution in accordance with subparagraph 41(1)(a)(i) or paragraph 41(1A)(a):
(A) the amount of that payment; and
(B) if any amount is payable to the student under paragraph 56(a) or, if the student requests, under paragraph 56(b)--that amount.
(1A) However, an institution is not required to give a student a notice under subsection (1) in relation to a course of study in respect of a semester if:
(a) the student is an overseas student in relation to the course of study in respect of the semester; and
(b) the student pays fees for the course of study in respect of the semester.
(2) A notice to a student under subsection (1) in relation to a semester shall be given not later than a date specified by the Minister by notice published in the Gazette in relation to that semester for the purposes of this section.
(3) If, after giving a notice to a student under subsection (1) or this subsection, an institution is satisfied that a material particular in the notice was not, or has ceased to be, correct, the institution shall give a further written notice to the student setting out the correct particular.
(4) A notice to a student under this section is given for the purpose only of providing information to the student, and the liability of a student to pay a contribution to an institution is not affected by a failure of the institution to give such a notice or to give such a notice by the specified date or by any incorrect statement in such a notice.
(5) A notice given to a student under this section shall set out the effect of subsections 55(1) and (2).