(1) The Minister may approve a proposal for expenditure as a proposal deserving financial assistance under this section in respect of a year to which this Chapter applies if:
(a) the proposal is for expenditure by an institution to which this section applies; and
(b) the proposal is for expenditure upon a centre that, in the opinion of the Minister, is an advanced engineering centre.
(2) In forming his or her opinion under paragraph (1)(b), the Minister must have regard to the following matters:
(a) the quality of the undergraduate and post-graduate training courses offered by the proposed centre;
(b) whether the functions of the proposed centre include the provision of:
(i) specialist engineering short courses for persons engaged in industry; or
(ii) continuing education and retraining in engineering; or
(iii) short courses in engineering for post-secondary teachers, including teachers of technical and further education;
(c) the extent to which the proposed centre is able and willing to provide, under contract, engineering research and design services for industry;
(d) the degree of support which industry is prepared to provide to the proposed centre.
(3) The Minister may give approval under subsection (1) subject to conditions.
(4) If the Minister approves a proposal in respect of a year, then, subject to section 23C:
(a) the Minister must determine an amount as the estimated total expenditure on the proposal for the year; and
(b) the Minister must determine an amount of approved expenditure in relation to the proposal for the year; and
(c) the amount of approved expenditure on the proposal for the year must not be greater than the amount of estimated total expenditure on the proposal for the year.
(5) There is payable to an institution to which an approved proposal relates an amount equal to the amount of approved expenditure determined by the Minister in relation to the proposal.
(6) The amount payable to an institution under subsection (5) is for financial assistance in respect of expenditure incurred or to be incurred by the institution:
(a) in connection with the proposal; and
(b) in respect of the year to which the proposal relates.