(1) If none of the parties to the arbitration applies to the Tribunal under section 44ZP for a review of the Commission's final determination, the determination has effect 21 days after the determination is made.
(2) If a party to the arbitration applies to the Tribunal under section 44ZP for a review of the Commission's final determination, the determination is of no effect until the Tribunal makes its determination on the review.
(3) Any or all of the provisions of a final determination may be expressed to apply from a specified day that is earlier than the day on which it takes effect under subsection (1) or (2).
Example: The Commission makes a final determination on 1 August. It takes effect under subsection (1) on 22 August, but it is expressed to apply from 1 July.
(4) The specified day must not be earlier than the following day:
(a) if the third party and provider commenced negotiations on access to the service after the service became a declared service--the day on which the negotiations commenced;
(b) if the third party and provider commenced negotiations on access to the service before the service became a declared service--the day on which the declaration began to operate.
However, the specified day cannot be a day on which the third party did not have access to the service.
Operation of interim determination
(5) If a provision of a final determination is expressed to apply from a day when an interim determination was in effect, the provision of the final determination prevails over the interim determination to the extent set out in the final determination.
(a) a provision of a final determination is covered by subsection (3); and
(b) the provision requires a party to the determination (the first party ) to pay money to another party;
the determination may require the first party to pay interest to the other party, at the rate specified in the determination, on the whole or a part of the money, for the whole or a part of the period:
(c) beginning on the day specified under subsection (3); and
(d) ending on the day on which the determination takes effect under subsection (1) or (2).
(7) In exercising the power conferred by subsection (3) or (6), the Commission must have regard to any guidelines in force under subsection (8). It may have regard to any other matter it considers relevant.
(8) The Commission must, by legislative instrument, determine guidelines for the purposes of subsection (7).
(9) The Commission must take all reasonable steps to ensure that the first set of guidelines under subsection (8) is made within 6 months after the commencement of this subsection.