(1) The AER must take all reasonable measures to protect from unauthorised use or disclosure information:
(a) given to it in confidence in, or in connection with, the performance of its functions or the exercise of its powers; or
(b) that is obtained by compulsion in the exercise of its powers.
Note: The Privacy Act 1988 also contains provisions relevant to the use and disclosure of information.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the disclosure of information as required or permitted by a law of the Commonwealth, a State or Territory, is taken to be authorised use and disclosure of the information.
(3) Disclosing information to one of the following is authorised use and disclosure of the information:
(a) the Commission;
(b) the AEMC;
(c) Australian Energy Market Operator Limited (ACN 072 010 327);
(ca) the Clean Energy Regulator;
(cb) the Climate Change Authority;
(d) any staff or consultant assisting a body mentioned in paragraph (a), (b), (c), (ca) or (cb) in performing its functions or exercising its powers;
(e) any other person or body prescribed by the regulations for the purpose of this paragraph.
(4) A person or body to whom information is disclosed under subsection (3) may use the information for any purpose connected with the performance of the functions, or the exercise of the powers, of the person or body.
(5) The AER may impose conditions to be complied with in relation to information disclosed under subsection (3).
(6) For the purposes of subsection (1), the use or disclosure of information by a person for the purposes of:
(a) performing the person's functions, or exercising the person's powers, as:
(i) an AER member, a person referred to in section 44AAC or a delegate of the AER; or
(ii) a person who is authorised to perform or exercise a function or power of, or on behalf of, the AER; or
(b) the performance of functions, or the exercise of powers, by the person by way of assisting a delegate of the AER;
is taken to be authorised use and disclosure of the information.
(7) Regulations made for the purposes of this section may specify uses of information and disclosures of information that are authorised uses and authorised disclosures for the purposes of this section.
(8) Nothing in any of the above subsections limits:
(a) anything else in any of those subsections; or
(b) what may otherwise constitute, for the purposes of subsection (1), authorised use or disclosure of information.